Election Commission Of India (ECI) Delisted Ex-Telecom Minister A. Raja From The List Of Star Campaigners:
The Election Commission of India (ECI) delisted Ex-Telecom Minister A. Raja from the list of star campaigners.
- He has also been reprimanded for violation of the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) for making certain remarks during election times.
- A star campaigner is a celebrity vote seeker in an election for a party. This person can be anyone, a politician, or even a film star.
- There is no law governing who can or cannot be made a star campaigner.
- They are nominated by the concerned political parties specifying their constituencies and duration of the status.
- The ECI issues guidelines under the Model Code of Conduct regulating poll campaigns.
Numbers of Star Campaigners:
- A ‘recognized’ National or State party declared as such by the ECI can nominate a maximum of 40-star campaigners.
- An unrecognized political party can nominate a maximum of 20-star campaigners.