Exercise Konkan 2023:
Konkan 2023, the bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and the UK’s Royal Navy, was recently held off the Konkan coast in the Arabian Sea.
- Konkan exercise is the annual bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and the UK’s Royal Navy.
- INS Trishul, a guided missile frigate, and HMS Lancaster, a Type 23 guided missile frigate, participated in this edition.
- They undertook multiple maritime drills to enhance interoperability between the two forces and imbibe best practices.
- The exercises covered all domains of maritime operations, air, surface, and sub-surface.
- It included gunnery shoots on the surface inflatable target ‘Killer Tomato’, helicopter operations, anti-air, and anti-submarine warfare drills, Visit Board Search and Seizure (VBSS), ship maneuvers, and exchange of personnel.
- The exercise will help the Indian Navy and Royal Navy work together to improve maritime security and maintain a rules-based order in the region.