Farm Distress Index:
Farm Distress Index reported farm distress in different parts of the country.
- Farm Distress Index is developed by Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture (CRIDA).
- CRIDA is an institute under the Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- It was estabilished in 1985
- Headquarter is in Hyderabad
- It is a constituent organisation of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), an autonomous body of the Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India.
- It is part of the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) funded project on ‘Farmers Distress and Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna (PMFBY)’.
- Farm Distress Index is an early warning system based on a 21-question survey that captures the financial, economic, and emotional health status of farmers in vulnerable areas.
- The index can sense imminent distress at least 3-4 months ahead of its actual occurrence.
- This index can be used by policymakers and the government to plan and design a timely and targeted method of supporting distressed farmers.
- Farm distress continues to be reported from different parts of the country.
- Left unattended, the distress can lead to suicides by farmers.