Fast Track Special Court : Continuation
The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of Fast Track Special Court (FTSCs) for three more years till 2026.
- Initially commenced in October 2019 for one year, the scheme was extended for an additional two years until March 2023.
- Fast Track Special Court (FTSCs) are specialized courts established in India with the primary aim of expediting the trial process for cases related to sexual offenses, particularly those involving rape and violations under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO Act).
- The establishment of FTSCs was prompted by the government’s recognition of the alarming frequency of Sexual Offenses and the prolonged duration of trials in regular courts, which resulted in delayed justice for victims.
- The Central Government enacted the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act in 2018, which introduced stricter punishments, including the death penalty for rape offenders.
- Subsequently, the FTSCs were set up to ensure the swift dispensation of justice for such cases.\
- The scheme to establish FTSCs was formulated in August 2019 as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme following directions from the Supreme Court of India in a suo moto Writ Petition (Criminal).
- Implemented by the Department of Justice, Ministry of Law & Justice.