Fattah 2 : Hypersonic Weapon
Iran recently unveiled its new and improved hypersonic weapon, the Fattah-2.
- Fattah 2 means conqueror in Farsi, is a hypersonic ballistic missile.
- It was developed by Iran. It is a new version of its first domestically made hypersonic ballistic missile named ‘Fattah’.
- It is equipped with a hypersonic glide vehicle (HGV) warhead that can manoeuvre and glide at hypersonic speed.
- It uses a liquid-fuel rocket propellant.
- The precision-guided two-stage missile can hit targets within a range of 1500 kilometres with a velocity of Mach 15 (fifteen times the speed of sound i.e., 18522 km/hr).
- It can make quick turns to avoid defence systems.
- It is equipped with a warhead that has a spherical engine running on solid fuel and movable nozzles that allow it to change course when outside the atmosphere to accurately help it evade air-defence systems.
- Hypersonic Missile is a weapon system that flies at least at the speed of Mac 5, i.e., five times the speed of sound and is manoeuvrable.
- These missiles are extremely fast and far harder for surface-to-air missile defence systems to target.