Fifth Edition Of The National Bio Entrepreneurship Competition (NBEC):
The Department of Biotechnology has launched the fifth edition of the National Bio Entrepreneurship Competition (NBEC).
- NBEC is conducted as a part of the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) Regional Entrepreneurship Centre, established at Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms (C-CAMP) in partnership with BIRAC.
- BIRAC is a Public Sector Enterprise, set up by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT).
- It is India’s largest and most prestigious national competition for bio-entrepreneurs.
- First Launched in 2017, NBEC has emerged as a flagship platform for bio-entrepreneurs and innovators in India to showcase their deep science driven ideas and has created a great impact.
- It is held annually to identify and nurture deep science-driven business ideas in the life sciences domain that have the potential to break new ground in addressing societal challenges.
- Prize: It gives an unprecedented sum of Rs 8.5 crore in cash prizes and investment opportunities this year for winners.
- Over 30 industry and investment partners have come forward to encourage and support bio-entrepreneurship in India through this competition.
- NBEC in four years has created a repository of over 1,000 carefully vetted and expert hand-picked business ideas spanning all sub-domains of life Sciences.
- Special focus was given on healthcare, agriculture and environment, with a special focus on emerging areas like digital health, maternal & child health, antimicrobial resistance, water and sanitation, green chemistry, and personal care.
- This has built a steady pipeline of innovative technologies with demonstrated commercial viability