FIPIC Summit, 2023:
Prime minister of India meets with Pacific Island nation leaders on sidelines of FIPIC Summit in Papua New Guinea.
- The third forum for India-Pacific islands co-operation (FIPIC Summit), which was held today at Port Moresby was jointly hosted with Papua New Guinea.
- Prime minister of India co- chaired the summit with PM of Papua New Guinea.
- The discussions encompassed various areas of cooperation, including commerce, technology, healthcare, and climate change.
- Forum for India-Pacific Islands cooperation (FIPIC) is a multinational grouping for cooperation between India and 14 Pacific Islands nations.
- It include 14 islands named- Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
- All Head of state/head of government of the above countries met in Suva, Fiji in November 2014 for the first time where the annual summit was conceptualised.
- The FIPIC initiative marks a serious effort to expand India’s engagement in the Pacific region.
- A major part of India’s engagement with these countries is through development assistance under South-South Cooperation, mainly in capacity building and community development projects.