First G20 Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group (DRR WG) Meeting:
The First G20 Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group (DRR WG) meeting under India’s G20 Presidency took place, where India highlighted the importance of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
- The G20 Disaster Risk Resilience Working Group has called upon governments to build a social protection system with an effective and preferred instrument for disaster risk financing.
- It emphasised the need for new-age Social Protection Systems that invest in local risk resilience to mitigate, prepare and recover from disasters.
- The five priorities outlined:
- Global coverage of Early Warning Systems
- Increased commitment towards making infrastructure systems disaster resilient
- Stronger national financial frameworks for DRR
- Strengthened national and global disaster response system
- Increased application of ecosystems-based approaches to DRR
- The G20 DRR WG intended to include considerations for the Sendai Framework’s mid-term review, renew multilateral cooperation at all levels, and inform future global policies and initiatives related to DRR.