Global Risks Report 2024 : World Economic Forum
The World Economic Forum (WEF) has warned that artificial intelligence (AI) driven misinformation and disinformation will pose great risks globally in 2023 and 2024.
Highlights from the WEF Report:
- Misinformation and disinformation are the biggest short-term risks highlighted in the report.
- Extreme weather events and critical changes to Earth’s systems like biodiversity loss are noted as the greatest long-term concerns.
- Cost-of-living crisis and the interlinked risks of AI-enabled misinformation/disinformation and societal polarization dominate the global risks outlook for 2024.
- With several live conflicts underway, underlying geopolitical tensions and weakening societal resilience risk creating conflict contagion, the report warns.
- The survey for the report covered over 1400 global risk experts, industry heads and policymakers.
- The report highlights the persisting cost-of-living crisis as a major near-term concern.
- Rising prices, debt distress, and disparate social impact of the crisis risk fuelling political instability and unrest.
- Policymakers need to balance measures to control inflation with targeted relief for vulnerable groups to maintain social cohesion, as per the WEF.