New guidelines Introduced By Ministry Of Home Affairs (MHA) To Simplify The Process Of Renunciation Of Citizenship For Indians:
New guidelines introduced by Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) to simplify the process of renunciation of citizenship for Indians who wish to do so.
- Some of the simplified provisions in the new guidelines include- Uploading of documents online and completion of the process of renunciation within 60 days
- The new form also has a provision mandating the Indian citizen to indicate the reason for renouncing the citizenship
- The uploaded documents have to be submitted to the District Magistrate in case of citizen living in India or an Indian Mission abroad. The applicant will be interviewed before issuing the final certificate
- Also, the guidelines specify that as per the Citizenship act, 1955- “every minor child of that person shall thereupon ceases to be a citizen of India”.
- Concern with the guidelines: The guidelines are not clear if minors would also lose citizenship if only one of the parents gives up her/his Indian citizenship.