Historic Urban Landscape Project:
In Madhya Pradesh, Gwalior and Orchha cities have been selected by UNESCO under ‘Historic Urban Landscape Project’, which was started in the year 2011, for the inclusive and well-planned development of fast-growing historical cities while preserving the culture and heritage.
- Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan virtually launched UNESCO’s ‘Historic Urban Landscape’ project for Gwalior and Orchha cities of the state through video conferencing.
- Six cities of South Asia, including Ajmer and Varanasi in India are already involved in this project.
- Orchha and Gwalior have been included as the 7th and 8th cities.
- The cities will be jointly developed by UNESCO, Government of India and Madhya Pradesh by focusing on their historical and cultural improvement.
- This project will help MP tourism get a new dimension. Additional employment opportunities will also be created along with the development of tourism.