iNCOVACC : World’s First Intranasal Vaccine Gets Approval
World’s first Intranasal Vaccine iNCOVACC has recently received approval for Covid booster doses from Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI).
- It is developed by Bharat Biotech International Limited.
- It was developed in partnership with Washington University, St Louis, which had designed and developed the recombinant adenoviral vectored construct and evaluated in pre-clinical studies for efficacy.
- The approval is under Restricted Use in Emergency Situation for ages 18 and above in India, for heterologous booster doses.
- iNCOVACC is a recombinant replication deficient adenovirus vectored vaccine with a pre-fusion stabilised SARS-CoV-2 spike protein.
- It is the world’s first intranasal vaccine to receive both primary series and heterologous booster approval.
- The vaccine candidate was evaluated in Phases I, II and III clinical trials with successful results and has been specifically formulated to allow intranasal delivery through nasal drops.
- It is stable at 2-8 degrees Celsius for easy storage and distribution.