Index Of Eight Core Industries (ICI) For The Month Of April 2021.:
The Office of Economic Adviser, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade released the Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) for the Month of April 2021.
- ICI measures combined and individual performance of production in selected eight core industries viz. Coal, Crude Oil, Natural Gas, Refinery Products, Fertilizers, Steel, Cement, and Electricity.
- The Eight Core Industries comprise 40.27 percent of the weight of items included in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
- The combined ICI stood at 126.7 in April 2021, which increased by 56.1 percent (provisional) as compared to the Index of April 2020.
- This high growth rate in April 2021 is largely due to the low Index base in April 2020 consequent to the low industrial production across all sectors caused by nationwide lockdown imposed to contain the spread of Covid-19 last year.
- The growth rate of ICI during April-March 2020-21was (-)6.5% (P) as compared to the corresponding period of last FY.