India-Malaysia Defence Cooperation:
Indian Defence Minister interacted with his Malaysian counterpart to deepen Defence Cooperation between the two countries.
- The Malaysian air force has been looking for 18 new light fighter jets with several nations, including South Korea, Pakistan, China and Sweden, making a pitch. The Indian offer is for the LCA Mk1A version.
- India has offered a dual package for the indigenous fighter jets as well as maintenance of the Russian origin Su30 MKM aircraft being operated by Malaysia.
Highlights of the Meeting:
- Both countries highlighted the areas in which Indian defence industries could assist Malaysia. India invited senior officers from Malaysia to India to get a first-hand experience of the facilities and products of Indian defence industry.
- Malaysia expressed the need for inducting women personnel in peace keeping missions. Both sides agreed to engage each other on this issue.
- Both countries agreed to upgrade capability for Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) operations.
- Both sides discussed the existing defence cooperation activities and framework between the two countries, and ways to further enhance them under the existing Malaysia India Defence Cooperation Meeting (MIDCOM) framework.
- The next MIDCOM is scheduled to held in July 2022, and it was decided to use this platform for a deeper engagement in defence.