The Ministry of Defence has signed a contract for Medium Refit with Life Certification (MRLC) Submarine “INS Shankush” with Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), Mumbai at an overall cost of Rs. 2725 Cr.
- INS Shankush belongs to Shishumar class of submarines and has a speed of 22 knots.
- It is a Sub-Surface Killer (SSK) Class diesel-electric submarine.
- These submarines are developed by the German yard Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (HDW).
- The first two of these vessels (INS Shishumar and Shankush) were built by HDW at Kiel, while the remainder (Shalki and Shankul ) have been built at Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) Mumbai.
- The ships were commissioned between 1986 and 1994.
- These submarines have a displacement capacity of 1660 tons when surfaced.
- Submarines are any naval vessel that is capable of propelling itself beneath the water as well as on the water’s surface.
- This is a unique capability among warships, and submarines are quite different in design and appearance from surface ships.