Intended Nationally Determined Contribution:
India has formally submitted an updated Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) target to UNFCCC
- India’s INDC to be achieved primarily by 2030
- A total of 40% of the installed capacity for electricity will be from non-fossil fuel sources was Original target.
- As per new Target 50% by 2030 with help from international finance (Global climate fund) and transfer of technology
- To reduce the emissions intensity of the GDP by 33-35% was original target
- As per new target 45% of GDP by 2030
- Propagating a sustainable way of living: mass movement for ‘LIFE- Lifestyle for environment’ using traditions and values of conservation is new target.
- India also promised an additional carbon sink of 2.5 to 3 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent through additional forest and tree cover by the year 2030.
- India announced the goal of reaching net-zero by 2070
- The INDCs are the primary means for governments to communicate internationally the steps they will take to address climate change in their own countries.