International Day Of Sport For Development And Peace:
On 6th April, the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP) is observed annually. This day is celebrated to highlight the importance of sports in society.
- This day recognizes the positive impact due to sports on the harmony and peace of various communities across the globe.
- Sports help in promoting social ties, peace, and sustainable development across the planet.
- In 2013, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) had declared that the 6th of April is to be celebrated as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace. April 6th was selected as on this day in 1896 the first-ever Modern Olympics took place in Athens. Since 2014, this day has been annually observed across the planet.
- In 2015, sports were included in the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations after it was considered to play a crucial role in sustainable development.
- Hence, this day acts as a platform for nations to turn their focus to the development of this sector.
- The nations are encouraged to invest in the development of sports and sporting infrastructures, awareness among the masses, and quality education.
The theme for this year
- ‘Securing a Sustainable and Peaceful Future for All: The Contribution of Sport’ is the theme for this year’s the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace.
- The theme highlights the importance of sport in creating a better future for humans.
- The focus of this year’s theme is on lowering Greenhouse Gas emissions and climate change.