Koosina Mane Initiative : Karnataka Government
Karnataka government has introduced the ‘Koosina Mane’ initiative, which aims to provide childcare support for women enrolled under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) and other working mothers.
- This initiative aims to establish childcare centers across 4,000 gram panchayats, supporting working mothers under the MGNREGA and others nearby.
- It addresses the “triple burden” women face by redistributing childcare responsibilities, potentially enabling sustained employment and upskilling.
- It will address the issue of the ‘motherhood penalty,’ which is considered to be one of the reasons why women drop out of the labor force.
- Significance of the scheme:
- Boosting Women’s Labor Force Participation
- Acknowledging Working Mothers Redistribution of Childcare Burden from women, enhancing their ability to engage in better paying and more sustainable work.
- Addressing Child Safety by providing a well-managed childcare infrastructure with trained caregivers.
- Enabling Maternity Protection.
- Fostering Women’s Employment