Major Economies Forum On Energy And Climate (MEF):
At the virtual meeting of MEF, Union Minister calls upon the members of MEF to launch a global movement on LIFE i.e., Lifestyle for Environment
- Aim of the meeting: The MEF meeting was aimed at galvanising actions (both developed and developing countries) that are to strengthen energy security and tackle the climate crisis thereby building momentum for COP27.
- MEF was launched in 2009 by US President Barack Obama.
India at MEF 2022
- India has already installed 159 GW of non-fossil fuel-based electricity generation capacity.
- During the last 7. 5 years, India’s installed solar energy capacity has increased over 18 times.
- India’s annual per capita emissions are only a third of the global average and its cumulative GHG emissions are less than 4 percent.
- India’s Panchamrit goals are being fructified through one of the largest clean energy development plans in the world.
- India is on track to meet its commitments, through the adoption of low carbon policies across key sectors of our economy ranging from the green hydrogen mission to e-mobility.