Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile : Successful Test-Firing
The Indian Navy has carried out a successful test-firing of a Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM) and a ship-launched version of BrahMos missile.
- Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile also called the ‘Abhra’ Weapon Systemis a state-of-the-art medium-range air defence weapon system.
- It is a joint venture of DRDO and Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI) and is produced at Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
- It is designed to destroy hostile aircraft, helicopters cruise missiles and drones at a 70km range.
- BrahMos missile is a joint venture of India and Russia which makes supersonic cruise missiles
- It has a speed of 2.8 Mach or about three times the speed of sound.
- The missiles can be launched from a range of platforms such as submarines, ships, aircraft, or land.
- BrahMos Aerospace is also developing the BrahMos NG, a compact version of the missile.