Meeting Of BIMSTEC:
A meeting of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Joint Working Group on Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime was hosted by the Government of India in New Delhi.
- The meeting discussed traditional and emerging non-traditional security threats in the BIMSTEC region.
- The working group on counter-terror deals with a few key realms of policy. These include
- Intelligence Sharing
- Legal and Law Enforcement
- Countering Radicalization and Terrorism
- Anti- Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism
- Human Trafficking
- Narcotic Drugs, Psychotropic Substances and Precursor Chemicals,
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation is a regional grouping started in 1997.
- Member countries: Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal
- This group was launched by signing the Bangkok Declaration.