MH-60 ‘Romeo’ Multi-Mission Helicopter:
The Indian Navy recently achieved a unique feat after an MH-60 ‘Romeo’ multi-mission helicopter landed on the indigenously-built aircraft carrier INS Vikrant.
- MH-60 Romeo Helicopter is the world’s most advanced maritime helicopter and is the most capable naval helicopter available today designed to operate from frigates, destroyers, cruisers and aircraft carriers.
- It is manufactured by US defence major Lockheed Martin.
- It is an all-weather helicopter designed to support multiple missions with state-of-the-art avionics and sensors.
- Main missions of the MH-60R Seahawk are Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) and Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW).
- This helicopter can detect and track submarines and surface ships and attack with torpedoes and missiles.
- Secondary missions are search and rescue, combat search and rescue, vertical replenishment, medical evacuation and insertion and extraction of special forces.
- This helicopter is operated by a crew of 4 in anti-submarine warfare role and crew of 5 in anti-surface warfare role. It can also accommodate additional passengers.
- It carries advanced airborne active sonar, multi-mode search radar and nose-mounted forward-looking infrared (FLIR) turret.