Ministry Of Social Justice And Empowerment Year End Review 2023:
The year-end-review of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment for the year 2023 was released.
- The Department hosted events like a special gathering at Rashtrapati Bhavan and India’s First Festival of Inclusion (Purple Fest) in Goa, involving thousands of Divyangjan and transgenders, setting world records, and fostering a sense of belonging.
- The Union Cabinet signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Government of India and the Government of South Africa, focused on cooperation in the Disability Sector.
- The Divya Kala Mela 2023, held in different cities throughout the year, stands as a testament to the Government’s commitment to fostering holistic development and empowerment for persons with disabilities.
The DEPwD embarked on a year-long celebration, commemorating various disability awareness like World Braille Day on January 4 to International Day of Persons with Disabilities on December 3, 2023d in 2023.
- Government felicitated Abilympics winners, honoring Indian Deaf Cricket Team and Para Swimmer Shri Satendra Singh Lohia, celebrating excellence in the field of disabilities, and recognizing their contributions.
- The government launched transformative programs like integrating universal accessibility courses into architectural programs, releasing anonymous data through UDID (Unique Disability ID) portal, and introducing portals for skill training, employment opportunities, and online case monitoring
- Government partnered with institutes to support and empower 3000 Persons with Disabilities through enterprise initiatives, fostering collaboration between government, corporate, and institutions.
- The government launched ISL (Indian Sign Language) dictionary terms, Video Relay Service, and online courses in Indian Sign Language, along with ensuring accessible books through SugamyaPustakalaya.
- Inaugurated India’s first high-tech sports training center for Divyangjan, named after former Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee, in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, emphasizing equal opportunities in sports and talent enhancement.
- Delivered impactful judgments, providing interest rate rebates to divyangjan borrowers, promoting financial inclusion through NDFDC loans, and collaborating for universal design centers for reading.
- DEPwD announces 1% interest rate rebate to divyangjan borrowers under NDFDC Loan.
- The Scheme witnesses remarkable achievements, with grants-in-aid totaling Rs.368.05 crore, benefiting 2.91 lakh beneficiaries.