Union Government set up a task force to monitor Monkeypox situation in country. It was created after reporting first death related to monkeypox.
- The Task force will provide guidance to government with respect to expansion of diagnostic facilities and exploration of vaccination for the disease in India.
- Task force will be headed by Dr VK Paul, member (Health) of the NITI Aayog.
- Other members include Secretary of Union Health Ministry and member of Pharma and Biotech.
- So far, four cases of Monkeypox have been report in India, of which three cases reported in Kerala and one in Delhi.
- A youth in Kerala with monkeypox-like symptoms lost his life.
- Following this, a high-level inquiry was initiated by Health Minister Veena George.
- The youth was found to be positive, during a test conducted outside India.
Monkeypox Cases worldwide:
- As per World Health Organization (WHO), over 18,000 cases of Monkeypox have been reported across 78 countries.
- WHO notes that, outbreak of monkeypox can be stopped if countries, communities and individuals keep informing themselves, take the issue seriously and take measures to stop transmission, in a bid to protect vulnerable groups