Prime Minister Modi initiated a scheme for the development of commercial organic farming in the region during 2015 which later became to be known as “Mission Organic Value Chain Development for North Eastern Region” (MOVCDNER).
- The scheme started with an average annual allocation of Rs. 134 crore during last five years has so far covered 74,880 ha area.
- To double the impact the allocation has now increased to Rs. 200 crores per year with a target to cover an additional 1.00 lakh ha area under 200 new FPOs over a period of 3 year period.
- The scheme besides growing and value-adding the traditional crops is also aiming to bring in high-value crops under contract farming models.
- Transformation of farmer clusters into Farmer Producer Companies (FPCs) ensures the emergence of the new breed of organic agri-enterprises.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking