MQ-9B Sea Guardian:
Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) will provide Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) services for engines of US’s MQ-9B Remotely Piloted Aircraft System as India is in discussions to buy 30 MQ-9B drones to enhance its surveillance capabilities along the China border and the Indian Ocean region.
- In another announcement, Germany based HENSOLDT and HAL announced a collaboration agreement covering design/IPR Transfer for design and manufacturing of Obstacle Avoidance System (OAS) for Indian helicopters.
- The MQ-9B Sea Guardian has changed the game in maritime domain awareness.
- It’s the first unmanned aerial system of its kind that can search the ocean surface and the depths in support of naval intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.
- It is designed to fly over the horizon via SATCOM for up to 30 hours (depending on configuration) in all types of weather.
- General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc (GA-ASI) of US is the manufacturer of the MQ-9Bs.
- Indian Navy operates two MQ-9B Sea Guardians taken on lease in 2020.