National Automated Fingerprint Identification System (NAFIS) has been launched by the Home Ministry to allow a country-wide search of crime-related fingerprints.
- NAFIS will create a unique 10-digit national fingerprint number (NFN) for each person arrested for the crime.
- Using the database of fingerprints, different crimes can be linked to NFN.
- It will “provide the much-needed unique identifier for every arrested person in the CCTNS (Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems)
- Developed by National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)
- Already implemented in Madhya Pradesh (to identify deceased persons)