National Maritime Heritage Complex (NMHC) : Gujrat:
The Ministry of Culture (MoC) and Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW) signed an MoU for Cooperation in Development of National Maritime Heritage Complex (NMHC) at Lothal, Gujarat’.
- The foundation stone for the project was laid by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in March 2019.
- National Maritime Heritage Complex, a world-class facility is to be developed in the vicinity of the ASI site of Lothal, located about 80 km away from Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- It will showcase and preserve India’s rich and diverse maritime heritage. It will display objects relating to ships and travel on large bodies of water. It also intends to highlight the ancient shipbuilding and navigational technologies developed by India.
- The project is being implemented by the Ministry of Shipping through its Sagarmala program, with the involvement of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), the State government and other stakeholders.
- India and Portugal will cooperate in the setting up of a national maritime heritage museum at Lothal in Gujarat. The Portuguese Navy has agreed to assist with their experience of administering the maritime museum in Lisbon.