National Nursing And Midwifery Commission Bill (NNMC), 2023 : Passed In Lok Sabha
The Lok Sabha passed National Nursing and Midwifery Commission Bill (NNMC), 2023, and the National Dental Commission bill, 2023.
- The Bills aim to repeal existing acts and bring about improvements in the quality of healthcare in different medical fields.
- National Nursing and Midwifery Commission (NNMC) Bill,2023 is a significant healthcare legislation aimed at reforming and enhancing nursing and midwifery professions in India.
- Establish the National Nursing and Midwifery Commission (NNMC) as a regulatory body for nursing and midwifery professionals.
- Repeal the existing Indian Nursing Council Act, of 1947. As the act is outdated and does not reflect the current needs and demands of the nursing and midwifery profession, which has evolved significantly over the years in terms of education, training, practice, and service standards.
- National Nursing and Midwifery Commission:
- Composition:NNMC will consist of 29 members.
- Chairperson with a postgraduate degree in nursing and midwifery and 20 years of field experience.
- Ex-officio members from Department of Health and Family Welfare, National Medical Commission, Military Nursing Services, and Directorate General of Health Services.
- Other members from nursing and midwifery professionals and charitable institutions.
- Framing policies and regulating standards for nursing and midwifery education.
- Providing a uniform admission process for nursing and midwifery institutions.
- Regulating nursing and midwifery institutions.
- Establishing standards for faculty in teaching institutions.