National Transit Pass System:
The Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched the National Transit Pass System (NTPS) pan-India.
- National Transit Pass System is to facilitate the seamless transit of timber, bamboo, and other forest produce across the country.
- The transit permits are issued for transport of timber and forest produce based on state specific transit rules.
- The NTPS is envisioned as a “One Nation-One Pass” regime, which will enable seamless transit across the country.
- This initiative will streamline the issuance of timber transit permits by providing a unified, online mode for tree growers and farmers involved in agroforestry across the country, contributing to the ease of doing business.
- It offers seamless transit permits, managing records for both inter-state and intra-state transportation of timber, bamboo and other forest produce obtained from various sources like private lands, government owned forest and private depots.
- The QR coded transit permits generated under NTPS will allow check gates across various states to verify the validity of the permits and allow seamless transit.
- It is designed for user convenience, featuring desktop and mobile applications for easy registration and permit applications.
- Transit permits will be issued for tree species which are regulated, while the users can self-generate No Objection Certificates for exempted species.
- Presently, 25 States and Union Territories have embraced the unified permit system, streamlining interstate business operations for producers, farmers, and transporters.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change