NFSA Ranking 2022:
The first edition of the State Ranking Index for National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013 was released.
- The index seeks to document the status and progress of the implementation of NFSA across the country and various reform initiatives after consultation with the states.
- It highlights the reforms undertaken by the States and Union Territories and creates a cross-learning environment and scale-up reform measures by all the States and Union Territories.
- The current index is largely focused on NFSA distribution and will include future buyouts, PMKGAY (Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana) distributions.
- The index for ranking of States and UTs is built on three key pillars, which cover end-to-end implementation of NFSA through Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS). These pillars are-
- NFSA- coverage, targeting and provisions of the Act
- Delivery platforms and
- Nutrition initiatives
General Category States:
- Odisha is ranked first followed by Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh in second and third position.
Special Category States:
- Tripura ranks top among the special category states (the North-eastern States, Himalayan States, and Island States).
- Himachal Pradesh and Sikkim are in second and third place, respectively.
- Punjab, Haryana and Delhi are among the states at the bottom five.