22nd National Fish Farmers Day:
National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) and the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying celebrated the 22nd National Fish Farmers Day (10th July 2022) to demonstrate solidarity with all fisher folk, fish farmers and concerned stakeholders throughout the country.
- National Fish Farmers Day is celebrated in the memory of scientists Dr K. H. Alikunhi and Dr H. L. Chaudhury.
- Both of them successfully demonstrated Hypophysation (technology of induced breeding) in Indian Major Carps (common name for several species of fish) on 10th July 1957.
- To recognise the accomplishments and contribution of fish farmers, aquapreneurs (entrepreneurs in the water sector) and fisherfolks in the growth of the fisheries sector in the country.
- To draw attention to changing the way the country manages fisheries resources to ensure sustainable stocks and healthy ecosystems.
National Fisheries Development Board:
- It was established in 2006 as an autonomous organization under the administrative control of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- Now, it works under the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- It aims to enhance fish production and productivity in the country and to coordinate fishery development in an integrated and holistic manner.