NIEPA : Diamond Jubilee Anniversary
National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA) recently celebrated the Diamond Jubilee anniversary of its establishment.
- It was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (now Ministry of Education), Government of India.
- It is a premier organization dealing with capacity building and research in planning and management of education not only in India but also in South Asia.
- The Institution is one of the first institutions established in the world in the area of education and planning.
- Over the past six decades, the institute has acquired a global reputation as one of the most recognized national institutions in the theory and practice of educational policy, planning and administration.
- The National Institute has its origin dating back to 1962 when the UNESCO established the Asian Regional Centre for Educational Planners and Administrators which later became the Asian Institute of Educational Planning and Administration in 1965.
- After 4 years of its existence, it was taken over by the Government of India and renamed as the National Staff College for Educational Planners and Administrators.
- Subsequently, with the increased roles and functions of the National Staff College, particularly in capacity building, research and professional support services to governments, it was again renamed as the National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA) in 1979.