The “Prime Minister Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (PM-WANI)” scheme has been recently launched by RailTel.
- Through this scheme access to RailTel’s free and fast public WiFi services will be provided in 100 Indian Railways stations across the country having 2,384 WiFi hotspots.
- PM-WANI is the Department of Telecom’s program that helps facilitate the use and proliferates broadband usage across the country.
- The framework of the PM-WANI has been developed and designed by the Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT).
- Through the PM-WANI last-mile internet access is being provided across the country.
- The 100 railway stations are spread across 22 states of the nation and include:
- 71 Category A1 railway stations
- 29 railway stations that are of other categories.
- The chairman and managing director of RailTel Puneet Chawla launched this WiFi access scheme.
- An individual can access the WiFi network via an android based mobile app named ‘Wi-DOT’which is available on the Google Play Store.