Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY):
Union Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Giriraj Singh will launch Rural Connectivity GIS Data in Public Domain on 22nd February, 2022 in India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) was launched in the year 2000, with an objective to provide all-weather road connectivity to eligible unconnected habitations throughout the nation.
- Later on upgradation and consolidation of through routes and major rural links was also included as its objective to give fillip to the rural economy.
- Since inception, 7.83 lakh Km roads have been sanctioned and 6.90 lakh Km have been constructed with an expenditure of Rs. 2.69 lakh crores.
- As part of the implementation of PMGSY, GIS data for 800,000+ rural facilities as points, 1 Million + habitations and 25,00,000+ km of rural roads have been collected and digitised using GIS platform developed for the scheme.
- The collected rural connectivity GIS data will be available to the public.
- NRIDA, the nodal implementation agency of PMGSY scheme will be signing
- MoU with 3 renowned GIS Firms & collaborating with Gati Shakti for releasing the Rural Connectivity GIS Data in Public Domain.
- Gati Shakti is a national master plan and digital platform to plan and execute infrastructure projects in India to reduce logistics costs and enhance infrastructure.
- NRIDA is collaborating with Gati Shakti with an objective to exchange the data for the better planning and implementation of both the schemes.