Who Was Shakuntala Choudhary?
The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi has expressed deep grief over the passing away of noted Gandhian Shakuntala Choudhary Ji.
- Shakuntala Choudhary (1920 – 2022), also known as Shakunthala Baideo, was an Indian social worker. Born in Assam, she was known for her commitment and devotion to the popularization of the Gandhian way of life.
- At an early age, in 1947, Choudhary joined the Assam branch of the Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust (KGNMT) and continued her association with the Trust for the rest of her life.
- Shakuntala Choudhary was closely associated with Vinoba Bhave who was the initiator of the Bhoodan Movement.
- At Vinoba Bhave’s instance, who was interested in promoting Devanagari script among different linguistic groups, Shakuntala Choudhary started a monthly magazine “Asomiya Vishwa Nagari” in Devanagari script which she edited for many years.
- Choudhary was also associated with of the “Ban Cow Slaughter Satyagraha” started by Vinoba Bhave in 1978.
- In 2022, the Government of India conferred the Padma Shri award.