Prakriti : Green Initiatives
In another step toward eliminating single-use plastic, the Union Environment Ministry has launched “Prakriti”, a mascot to spread greater awareness about small changes that can be sustainably adopted in the lifestyle for a better environment.
During the event, following green initiatives were launched for plastic waste management:
- National Dashboard on Elimination of Single Use Plastic and Plastic Waste Management (MoEFCC):‘
- This aims to connect all stakeholders including Central Ministries/ Departments, State/UT Governments, etc. through one platform and track status and progress made for elimination of single use plastic & effective management of plastic waste.
- Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Portal for Plastic Packaging (CPCB):
- This portal will look after tasks that will help in overall operational functions like improving accountability, traceability, transparency and facilitating ease of reporting compliance to EPR Obligations by Producers, Importers and Brand-owners.
- Mobile App for Single Use Plastics Grievance Redressal (CPCB):
- This app will allow citizens to check sale/usage/manufacturing of single use plastic in their region and tackle the plastic menace.
- Monitoring module for single use plastic (CPCB):
- This will be for local bodies, State pollution control board/PCCs and CPCB, etc. to invent details of single use plastic production, its sale & usage, etc. in commercial establishments at district level, and on-ground enforcement of ban on single use plastics.
- Industrial production of Graphene from Waste Plastic (G B Pant NIHE & NRDC) will promote more industries to come forward to upcycle plastic waste.