MGNREGA : Revised Wage Rate
The Ministry of Rural Development has notified fresh wage rates under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) for financial year 2022-23.
- The wage rates are notified under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, 2005.
- The MGNREGA wage rates are fixed according to changes in the CPI-AL (Consumer Price Index-Agriculture Labour), which reflects the increase in the inflation in rural areas.
- 21 out of 34 states and Union Territories getting less than 5 % increase and 10 states getting more than 5 % hike.
- Of the 31 states and UTs, which saw a hike in wages, the maximum 7.14 % has been recorded in Goa.
- The lowest increase of 1.77 % is in Meghalaya.
- There is no change in the wage rates of three states – Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura.
- MGNREGA is one of the largest work guarantee programmes in the world.
- The primary objective of the scheme is to guarantee 100 days of employment in every financial year to adult members of any rural household willing to do public work-related unskilled manual work.