Pregnant Tigress Died : Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve
A nine-year-old full-term pregnant tigress suffering from severe constipation recently died at the Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve (MHTR) during treatment.
- Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve popularly known as Darrah Wildlife Sanctuary, is spread across 4 districts – Bundi, Kota, Jhalawar & Chittorgarh in Rajasthan.
- The park is situated in a valley formed by two parallel mountains viz. Mukundra and Gargola.
- It is consisting of three wildlife sanctuaries: Darrah wildlife sanctuary, Chambal wildlife sanctuary and Jaswant Sagar wildlife sanctuary.
- This tiger reserve was once a hunting preserve belonging to the Maharaja of Kota.
- It is located on the eastern bank of the Chambal River and is drained by its tributaries.
- The important fauna includes Leopard, Sloth bear, Nilgai, Chinkara, Spotted Deer, Small Indian Civet, Toddy Cat, Jackal, Hyena, Jungle Cat, Common Langur etc.
- The common reptiles and amphibians are Pythons, Rat Snake, Buff-striped keelbacks, Green keelback, crocodiles, Gharial, Otter and Turtles