Project For Saturation Of 4G Mobile Services In Uncovered Villages:
The Union Cabinet approved a project for saturation of 4G mobile services in uncovered villages across the country at a total cost of Rs. 26,316 Cr.
- The project will provide 4G mobile services in 24,680 uncovered villages in remote and difficult areas.
- The project has a provision to include 20% additional villages on account of rehabilitation, new-settlements, withdrawal of services by existing operators etc.
- In addition, 6,279 villages having only 2G/3G connectivity shall be upgraded to 4G.
- The project will be executed by BSNL using Atmanirbhar Bharat’s 4G technology stack and will be funded through Universal Service Obligation Fund.
- The project cost of Rs. 26,316 Cr includes capex and 5 year opex.
- The project is a significant step towards the vision of the Government to provide mobile connectivity in rural areas.
- Last year Government approved a project for providing 4G mobile services in 7,287 uncovered villages in 44 aspirational districts across 5 states.
- In his Independence Day address in 2021, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi gave a call for saturation of government schemes.