Rani Velu Nachiyar Birth Anniversary:
The Prime Minister of India has paid tributes to Rani Velu Nachiyar (3rd Jan 1730 – 25th Dec 1796) on her birth anniversary.
- Rani Velu Nachiyar, also known as Veeramangai, was the princess of the Ramnad Kingdom of Ramanathapuram, Tamil Nadu.
- She is revered as the first queen to fight against the British colonial power in India.
- She was a scholar in languages like French, English, and Urdu.
- Nachiyar became queen of the Sivaganga estate (present-day Tamil Nadu) in 1780 after her husbands death.
- She ruled until 1790.
- She went on to produce the first human bomb as well as establish the first army of trained women soldiers in the late 1700s.