Real Time Train Information System (RTIS) Project:
The Indian Railways is collaborating with Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) under the Real Time Train Information System (RTIS) project.
- RTIS devices that use satellite imagery are being installed on the trains to automatically acquire its “movement timing at the stations, including that of arrival and departure or run-through”.
- These timings get automatically plotted on the control chart of those trains in the Control Office Application (COA) system.
- The project is executed by the Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).
- RTIS is developed in collaboration with ISRO. ISRO has launched GSAT satellites that have GAGAN payloads for tracking the movement of trains.
- RTIS gives mid-section updates with a periodicity of 30 seconds.
- The Train Control can now track the location and speed of RTIS-enabled locomotives/train more closely, without any manual intervention.
- It allows passengers to get the real-time location or train running status of a train on their smartphone.