River Devika Project:
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh said that the historic River Devika project, built at the cost of over Rs 190 crore, will be complete by June this year.
- North India’s first river rejuvenation project will offer a unique destination both for pilgrim tourists as well as recreation tourists, in addition to being a state-of-the-art cremation centre.
- This will bring Udhampur in Jammu prominently on India’s map.
- The Devika project was formally launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Jammu in early 2019.
- The project includes the construction of three sewage treatment plants of 8 MLD, 4 MLD and 1.6 MLD capacity, sewerage network of 129.27 km, development of two cremation ghats, protection fencing and landscaping, small hydropower plants and three solar power plants.
- On completion of the project, the rivers will see reduction in pollution and improvement in water quality.
- The country’s first Highway Village being constructed by NHAI is coming up on fast track on Udhampur National Highway and the Centrally funded Medical College will start its classes next year through NEET selection.