SACRED Portal For Elderly:
In a first of its kind move, the government has come up with an online employment exchange platform to cater to senior citizens seeking job opportunities.
- The portal developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is named Senior Able Citizens for Re-Employment in Dignity (SACRED).
- The International Day of Older Persons is observed on 1st October each year.
- Citizens above 60 years of age can register on the portal and find jobs and work opportunities.
- The Employment Portal will serve not only the senior citizens seeking employment, but also the employers, the Self Help Groups (SHGs), the senior citizens gaining skills, and other agencies or individuals.
- An amount of Rs. 10 Cr would be provided for funding for the platform development along with maintenance grant of @ Rs. 2 Cr per year for 5 years.
- The portal is shaped on the recommendations of the Empowered Expert Committee (EEC) report on startups for the elderly.
- There is a sharp rise in India’s elderly population and thrust is on creating an ecosystem that supports their needs more holistically.
- There are 110 million elders in this country, who are above the age of 60.
- According to the Longitudinal Ageing Study of India (LASI), India will have over 319 million elderly by 2050 compared to the 120 million now.
- More than 50% senior citizens are found active as per the LASI report 2020. Many senior citizens having experience, time and energy can be used by the business enterprises looking for stable employees with experience.