Sarna Religious Code For Tribals : Jharkhand
Jharkhand Chief Minister wrote a letter to Prime Minister, requesting the recognition of the Sarna religious code for tribals.
- Concerns have been raised regarding the neglect of Sarna Code, which could adversely affect tribal development policies under Fifth Schedule and Sixth Schedule of the Constitution.
- Sarna religion, followed by a significant tribal population in Jharkhand, is unique, based on nature worship, and distinct from mainstream religions.
- There is need to protect the cultural and religious identity of tribals who worship nature.
- Fifth Schedule lays out provisions for the Administration and Control of Scheduled Areas and STs in states other than 6th Schedule States.
- Sixth Schedule deals with the administration of the tribal areas in Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram.