Sea lion : Found Dead Or Sick On California Beaches
Hundreds of sea lions are found dead or sick on California beaches due to toxic offshore algae blooms.
- Sealion is a marine mammal that belongs to the family Otariidae.
- These are known for their semi-aquatic lifestyle, spending a significant amount of time both on land and in the water.
- They have a streamlined body with a large head and a long, flexible neck.
- They typically have a brown or tan coat, and adult males develop a thick mane of hair around their necks.
- They inhabit rocky shorelines, islands, and sandy beaches.
- They can be found in various regions, including the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, and parts of the Indian Ocean.
- Sea lions are carnivorous and primarily feed on fish, such as herring, anchovies, sardines, and squid.
- Currently, there are six subspecies of sea lions: Australian sea lions, California sea lions, Galapagos sea lions, New Zealand sea lions, South American sea lions, and Steller sea lions.