Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX):
India and Singapore have carried out 28th edition of the Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX).
- Initiated in 1994, SIMBEX is the Indian Navy’s longest uninterrupted bilateral maritime exercise with any foreign navy.
- 28th edition of SIMBEX was a mega naval wargame in the southern fringes of the South China Sea, in reflection of their growing congruence of interests in the strategically key region.
- Other Defence Cooperation:
- Both navies have a representation in each other’s Maritime Information Fusion Centres and have also recently signed an agreement on mutual submarine rescue support and coordination.
- Singapore participates in Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) and multilateral exercise MILAN hosted by the Indian Navy.
- Singapore’s membership of Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) and India’s membership of ADDM+ (ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting – Plus) provides a platform for both countries to coordinate positions on regional issues of mutual concern.