Stop TB Partnership Board:
Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare has been appointed Chairman of the Stop TB Partnership Board.The Union Health Minister will serve a three-year term, commencing July 2021, as the Chair of the Board of Stop TB Partnership.
- Established in the year 2000, the ‘Stop TB Partnership’ is mandated to eliminate Tuberculosis as a public health problem.
- The organization was conceived following the meeting of the First Session of the Ad Hoc Committee on the Tuberculosis Epidemic held in London in March 1998.
- In its inaugural year itself, the Stop TB Partnership through the Amsterdam Declaration gave a call for collaborative action from ministerial delegations from 20 countries that bear the highest burden of TB.
- It has 1500 partner organizations which include international, non-governmental, and governmental organizations and patient groups.
- The Secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Harsh Vardhan addressing the 33rd Board Meeting of Stop TB, November 2020, India has committed to eliminating TB in the country by 2025, five years ahead of the global deadline of 2030.