Sugamya Bharat App:
Sugamya Bharat app is a part of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment’s efforts that will ensure a barrier-free environment in government and other buildings as well as transport systems
- Sugamya Bharat app would also allow public participation in case of issues faced by not just the differently-abled but even pregnant women, children, and those who are temporarily disabled owing to various types of illnesses, surgery etc.
- To ensure the app’s smooth functioning, the project management unit has also been set up.
- once someone has raised an issue or lodged a complaint about the difficulty in accessing a building or a facility by uploading a picture and briefly described the problem, the social justice ministry team would then forward it to the concerned authorities.
- In case the matter is not addressed soon, it will be taken up with the head of the department of the particular body.
- Reminders will be sent for the same, and they would be followed up until the issue is resolved.
- The App has been developed by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Sugamya Bharat APP — a Crowdsourcing Mobile Application is a means for sensitizing and enhancing accessibility in the 3 pillars of the Accessible India Campaign i.e. built environment, transportation sector, and ICT ecosystem in India.
- The app provides for five main features, 4 of which are directly related to enhancing accessibility, while the fifth is a special feature meant only for Divyangjan for COVID-related issues.
- The accessibility-related features are the registration of complaints of inaccessibility across the 3 broad pillars of the Sugamya Bharat Abhiyaan; positive feedback of examples and best practices worth emulating being shared by people as jan-bhagidhari; Departmental updates; and guidelines and circulars related to accessibility.