Taragiri : Project 17A Frigate
Taragiri, a Project 17A Frigate will be launched at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai on 11 September 2022.
- ‘Taragiri’, named after a hill range in Himalayas located at Garhwal, is the fifth ship of Project 17A Frigates.
- These ships are advanced version of the P17 Frigates (Shivalik Class) with improved stealth features, state of the art weapons and sensors and platform management systems.
- ‘Taragiri’ is the reincarnation of erstwhile ‘Taragiri’, the Leander Class ASW Frigate, which saw numerous challenging operations in its illustrious service to the nation spanning over three decades from 16 May 1980 to 27 Jun 2013.
- Under the P17A program, a total of seven ships, with 04 at MDL and 03 at GRSE are under construction.
- Four P17A Project ships (two each at MDL and GRSE) have been launched so far between 2019 and 2022.